Marymount Alumna Elected to Palos Verdes Peninsula School District Board of Education

Marymount alumna Megan Crawford was elected in early November to the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District (PVPUSD) Board of Education.

Marymount alumna Megan Crawford was elected in early November to the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District (PVPUSD) Board of Education. The 27-year-old teacher and former PVPUSD and Marymount student decided to run because she wanted to give back to the community that gave her such a great head start.

“I graduated from Palos Verdes Peninsula High School in 2010, then spent two years at Marymount working on my general education requirements and earning an Associate’s degree in Geography,” Crawford shared. “Marymount was the perfect place for me to transition after high school. The small class sizes, close-knit atmosphere, and passionate professors and counselors provided me with the tools I needed to be successful in my educational journey.”

After obtaining her bachelor’s degree in Geography and Environmental Studies, Crawford went on to earn her teaching credential and a Master’s degree in Education.

“Marymount’s unique environment helped me to learn and grow,” Crawford said. “I’m so glad to see they are offering so many diverse bachelor’s degrees now—and an MBA! Our community is fortunate to have such a valuable resource.”

Crawford currently is a math and science teacher at Parras Middle School in Redondo Beach. She also is working toward her Masters of Public Administration. Crawford feels that her unique experience, as both a past student of the PVPUSD and a teacher, will serve her well as she assumes her new role on the school board.

“With Board Member Tony Collatos leaving, there was no one else on the school board with a background in education,” Crawford said. “I believe having the perspective of an educator is important. As a lifelong resident of Palos Verdes and a former student here, I also have an idea about what makes this district so successful, and how we can work together to make it even better. I am grateful for this opportunity and I look forward to the challenge.”

Today, Marymount California University offers Associate degrees; Bachelor of Arts degrees in Biology, Business, Criminal Justice, Multidisciplinary Studies and Psychology; Bachelor of Science degrees in Accounting, Biology, Digital Communication Media and Management; and a Master of Business Administration (MBA). As a Catholic institution inspired by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, Marymount California University’s small, supportive community continues to mentor and challenge its students to pursue lives of leadership and service. We are delighted to see Megan Crawford continue in this tradition, and we wish her the greatest success.