Take a Look
Marymount California University challenges students of all backgrounds and ages to pursue lives of leadership and service. With its Oceanview, Waterfront and Lakeside campuses, the University offers a distinctive range of experiences along the Los Angeles County coastline in Palos Verdes, in downtown San Pedro’s arts district and in rural Northern California.
At A Glance:
- More than 37 percent of entering domestic freshmen are first-generation college students.
- 44 percent of students are Catholic.
- More than 70 percent of students receive some financial aid, including need-based, merit, athletic and fine arts scholarships.
- Student to faculty ratio is 17:1; average class size is 17 students.
- There are 25 student-led campus organizations.
- Study-abroad experiences are offered in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany and Cyprus.
- Marymount and the Catholic High Schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles offer a guaranteed admission program that makes application to the university easy.
- 96 percent are full-time students seeking associate, bachelor’s and graduate degrees. Bachelor’s degrees include Business, Biology (pending WSCUC approval), Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts, Psychology and Film and Media Production. An MBA and other graduate degree programs include Leadership and Global Development, and Community Psychology.
- Since the inception of the Service Learning Program in fall 2009, MCU students have provided more than 80,000 hours of service to the surrounding community.
- Member of the California Pacific Conference and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), participating in men’s and women’s soccer, cross-country, track and golf; softball and baseball; lacrosse is played as a club sport.
- Students may complete their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in just five years in the BA-Master’s Pathway Programs.
- With gorgeous views and a unique campus location, it’s no surprise that many Hollywood production companies have chosen MCU as a location for professional film, television and commercial shoots. Funds received by the university in exchange for the campus being used as a location is returned to students in the form of scholarships through Financial Aid.
AccreditationMarymount California University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.
HistoryMarymount California University (formerly Marymount College Palos Verdes, California) was established in 1968 as a two-year institution of higher education by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (RSHM). In 1975 the RSHM transferred responsibility of the university to a lay board of trustees. The RSHM provides a legacy to the University, through which their charism and education tradition inspires the institution’s mission.
Marymount California University is a Catholic institution that welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds into a quality, values-based education. We foster a student-centered approach to learning that promotes the development of the whole person. In the spirit of our founders, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, we challenge our students to pursue lives of leadership and service.
When your university has vision, anything is possible.
With a visionary focus on the future, Marymount California University literally is growing and changing every day. In just the past few years, our institution has expanded its range of four-year and graduate programs, added two dynamic campus locations, attained university status and announced an exciting new name.
What hasn’t changed, however, are the values we’ve held from the beginning. As a Catholic university, we are as committed to serving others as we are to student success. We welcome learners of all backgrounds, experiences and ages, and we expect our students to create positive changes in the world. Our vision is built on the hopes and dreams of each individual Marymount California student. We see what’s possible for you, and it looks amazing.