Marymount California University challenges students of all backgrounds and ages to pursue lives of leadership and service. With its stunning Oceanview campus, the University offers a distinctive range of experiences along the Los Angeles County coastline in Palos Verdes.
At A Glance:
- More than 37 percent of entering domestic freshmen are first-generation college students.
- 44 percent of students are Catholic.
- More than 70 percent of students receive some financial aid, including need-based, merit, athletic and fine arts scholarships.
- Student to faculty ratio is 17:1; average class size is 17 students.
- There are 25 student-led campus organizations.
- Study-abroad experiences are offered in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany and Cyprus.
- Marymount and the Catholic High Schools of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles offer a guaranteed admission program that makes application to the university easy.
- 96 percent are full-time students seeking associate, bachelor’s and graduate degrees. Bachelor’s degrees include Accounting, Biology, Business, Criminal Justice, Digital Communication Media, Management, Multidisciplinary Studies, Psychology. A Master Of Business Administration degree is also available.
- Since the inception of the Service Learning Program in fall 2009, MCU students have provided more than 80,000 hours of service to the surrounding community.
- Member of the California Pacific Conference and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), participating in men’s and women’s soccer, cross-country, track and golf; softball and baseball; lacrosse is played as a club sport.
- Students may complete their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in just five years in the BA-Master’s Pathway Programs.
- With gorgeous views and a unique campus location, it’s no surprise that many Hollywood production companies have chosen MCU as a location for professional film, television and commercial shoots. Funds received by the university in exchange for the campus being used as a location is returned to students in the form of scholarships through Financial Aid.
Marymount California University is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.
Marymount California University (formerly Marymount College Palos Verdes, California) was established in 1968 as a two-year institution of higher education by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (RSHM). In 1975 the RSHM transferred responsibility of the university to a lay board of trustees. The RSHM provides a legacy to the University, through which their charism and education tradition inspires the institution’s mission.
Marymount California University is a Catholic institution that welcomes students of all faiths and backgrounds into a quality, values-based education. We foster a student-centered approach to learning that promotes the development of the whole person. In the spirit of our founders, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, we challenge our students to pursue lives of leadership and service.