A cover letter shows hiring managers your desire for a particular job. It’s your chance to show your passion and your personality. This is where you can discuss specific items listed in the job description and how your skills and experience match those requirements. To some hiring managers, cover letters are the most important part of your job application.
- Do your research on the industry, field, company and the job so you fully understand what the employer is seeking.
- Write your letter in a conversational, albeit respectful, style.
- Convey why you are interested in this position and/or why you want to work for this organization
- Relate your experience to the job and give two specific accomplishments. Don’t just restate what’s in your resume. Remember you can include classes, class papers, hobbies, volunteer work and interests.
- Use the closing paragraph to express thanks for the consideration and to request an opportunity to discuss the position.
- Proofread and spell check your letter before sending.