The interview process is a conversation between you and your potential employer. Be sure you can demonstrate these three things:
- You have the right skills and experience (can you do the job?)
- You are motivated and have a strong work ethic (will you do the job?)
- You are a fit with the company (are you compatible with the existing team?)
Interviews are also an opportunity for you to evaluate the organization and whether the position you’ve applied for aligns with your professional interests, skills and goals.
How to ace your interview
Being prepared for your interview will give you the confidence to succeed in highlighting important qualities and skills needed to land the job.
- Do your research and learn everything you can about the organization and the position. Read the company website to see how they talk about themselves. Google them to see if there’s news about them.
- Prepare questions you can ask and interview responses.
- Review your résumé. Be prepared to speak in detail about anything on your résumé.
- Consider a mock interview with one of our career counselors. Interviewing, like other skills, improves with practice.
- Wear appropriate attire. Different employers have different expectations. If you’re not sure, err on the side of professional. You can never go wrong selecting a suit.
- Make sure you have the correct directions and location (floor, suite/room number).
- Bring along any necessary materials (your list of questions, paper, a pen, copies of your résumé, transcripts, references, additional samples of your work).
- Arrive on time (no more than 10 minutes prior).
- Turn off your phone and put it away.
- Make eye contact and smile while introducing yourself.
- Ask questions at the end.
- Send a thank-you email to every person who interviewed you. Reinforce why you are a good fit, address any concerns or hesitations that arose and emphasize that you are still interested in the position.
- Follow up if you have not heard back within one week.
Marymount now offers students access to Quinncia, a new, automated program that provides instant feedback on your resume and mock interviews.