Informational Interview Questions
- Can you tell me about your career path and what led you to the role you’re in today?
- What were some of your early roles in the field?
- What does a typical workday look like for you?
- What do you enjoy most about the work you do?
- What do you find to be the most rewarding part of your job?
- What do you enjoy the least? Or, is there something that surprised you about the role when you first started?
- What skills do you think are most important for someone interested in a job like yours?
- What educational and work experiences is your company looking for in a qualified candidate?
- What are some expectations for new hires?
- What do you wish you had known or that someone had told you when you were starting out in this career/role?
- What advice would you give a college student or recent graduate who is seeking a career in this industry
- What steps should I be taking now to prepare myself for life after college?
- What tips do you have on financial literacy/budgeting, time management, etc.?
- What do you think is the most effective way to engage in networking and relationship building?
Thank You Email
Remember to thank them for their time and send them a follow-up thank you email, copying firstname.lastname@example.org. Ask if it’s okay if you stay in touch so you can engage in professional networking.