student using hand sanitizer

Frequently asked questions

If I’m exposed to COVID-19, what should I do?
Fill out the health screening questionnaire. Watch for symptoms until 14 days after exposure. If you have symptoms, immediately self-isolate and contact your healthcare provider. Wear a mask, stay six feet from others, wash your hands, avoid crowds and take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

If I get sick with COVID-19-like symptoms, what should I do?
Stay home, do NOT go out and about, stay away from people and isolate yourself in a room. Clean any common areas that you must use, such as kitchens and bathrooms. Check in with a healthcare provider and make an appointment to get a COVID test.

Who is a close contact of someone with COVID-19?
A close contact is anyone who was within six feet of an infected person for a total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period. An infected person can spread COVID-19 starting from two days before they have any symptoms (or, if they are asymptomatic, two days before their specimen that tested positive was collected), until they meet the criteria for discontinuing home isolation.

What does it mean to quarantine?
Quarantine is used to keep someone who may have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. It helps prevent the spread of the virus before a person experiences symptoms and becomes ill. People in quarantine should stay home, separate themselves from others, monitor their health and follow the directions from local and state health departments.

What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?|
You quarantine when you might have been exposed to the virus and may or may not have been infected unless you have been fully vaccinated. You isolate when you have been infected with the virus, even if you don’t have symptoms.

Will MCU require the COVID-19 vaccination?
Yes. All MCU students, faculty and staff must submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination prior to participating in on-campus instruction and co-curricular activities or accessing campus facilities unless you have an approved medical or religious exemption. Only COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the World Health Organization will be accepted. Students should submit documentation to the Student Wellness Center at, and employees can forward a copy of their vaccination card to Human Resources.

What if I have a medical reason that prevents me from getting a vaccination?
Your health care provider must compete and sign MCU’s certificate of medical exemption for immunizations form and submit to

Can I be tested for COVID-19 instead of receiving a vaccine?
Routine COVID-19 testing will not replace the requirement for vaccination.

What if I am not able to get a COVID-19 vaccine by the time I need to be on campus?
Please contact us to determine what accommodations may be feasible.

What are the consequences for non-compliance for students?
Students who choose not to be immunized and do not receive an approved medical or religious exemption will not be able to attend in-person classes or events, access the MCU campus nor live in the Villas, and will be limited to online course registration. Not all courses will be offered online.

Where can I get a vaccine?
Free COVID-19 vaccines are readily available at health clinics, pharmacies and community vaccination sites. You can also search, text your zip code to 438829 or call 1-800-232-0233 to find locations near you.

Do I have to wear a face covering if I am vaccinated?
Masks are required indoors for everyone. This includes those who are vaccinated, if in a public setting. Public settings include The Commons, shuttles, hallways, classrooms, library, labs, shared offices, restrooms and the café. However, face coverings are not required outdoors for the vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated and unable to maintain physical distancing of at least six feet from others, please wear a mask.

What do I do if I forgot my mask?
Masks are available throughout campus.

Do I still need to practice physical distancing?
No, physical distancing is no longer required, but efforts should be made to reduce overcrowding, particularly in indoor spaces.

If I get the COVID-19 vaccine, will I still need to complete the daily health check to use campus facilities?
Yes. We request everyone check in upon their visit either through this link or one of the QR codes posted around campus. This will continue to ensure individuals using campus facilities are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.

What if I get sick or test positive?
To protect the Mariner community and limit the spread of the virus, we must all take responsibility and report if we have COVID-19 or suspect we have been exposed. Students should contact the Student Wellness Center, and employees can contact Human Resources. Additionally, students should notify their instructor. If you are able to continue the coursework and/or have an online option, do so. If you are too ill to continue the coursework, you will need to discuss your options with your instructor.

What do I need to know about living in the Villas this year?
Like all Marymount students attending classes, students living in campus housing will be required to comply with the university’s vaccine mandate. Domestic students will not be allowed to move in without having submitted their Covid-19 vaccination information or having been granted an exemption. International students will be required to either vaccinate immediately upon arrival or apply to receive an exemption.

Both single- and double-occupancy rooms are available, but no triple-occupancy rooms. Individuals sharing a Villa are considered a household and are not required to wear face coverings while in their “home” area, but they are required to wear face coverings when exiting their living spaces and in public areas of the Villas. Guests (a person not living in that household) must wear a mask the entire time they are visiting. Students are not required to wear a mask outside but must adhere to social distancing guidelines as provided by Los Angeles Public Health. There may be events that require everyone to wear a mask regardless of vaccination status.

What will happen if a residential student tests positive for COVID-19?
A residential student testing positive will be relocated to designated housing specifically set aside for COVID-19 isolation/quarantine. The student will need to remain until medically cleared to return to normal activities and comply with requests for contact tracing.

What dining options will be available?
MCU will not offer a dining plan for the fall 2021 semester. However, students will still be able to buy breakfast and lunch at the Bistro by the Sea café when on campus. Vending machines are also available on campus and at the Villas. Since each unit comes with its own kitchen and appliances, many students choose to prepare their own meals. Alternatively, you can order from local restaurants and take advantage of the occasional food trucks and grocery delivery services.

What do I need to know about traveling to the U.S.?
On October 15, 2021, the White House announced it will lift COVID-19 travel restrictions for fully vaccinated international visitors entering the United States, starting November 8, 2021. The new travel policy will require all adult foreign nationals (including F-1 visa-holders) to show proof of FULL vaccination as well as provide a negative COVID test three days prior to departure.

Vaccine exemptions include children under 18, people who participated in COVID-19 clinical trials, who had severe allergic reactions to the vaccines, or are from a country where shots are not widely available (signified by a vaccination rate less than 10%).

MCU has returned to a mainly on-ground modality for Fall 2021. How does this affect my immigration status? 
Because MCU is returning to an on-ground modality with some online and hybrid classes, you are required to return to the U.S. and the MCU campus to maintain your F-1 visa status. Be sure to check in with Ryan O’Connell, director of international services, when you arrive to ensure your immigration record is properly updated for the semester.

What if I can’t get vaccinated before my arrival? 
OVID-19 vaccines will vary depending on your home country, but we will accept any approved by the World Health Organization for emergency use, which currently include Pfizer/BioNTech, AstraZeneca/Oxford, Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Moderna, Sinopharm and Sinovac. We hope you have access to one of these vaccines and can complete the required series before your arrival in the United States. If not, you will be required to get vaccinated just after you arrive.

To obtain the COVID-19 vaccine when you are in the U.S., please visit the Centers for Disease Control website or LA County’s Department of Public Health website to find a clinic near you. MCU is within close proximity to several vaccine clinics. You can also text your zip code to 439929 to receive a list of locations near you. Or call 1-800-232-0233. Additionally, MCU will host a vaccine clinic during new student orientation as well.

Once completed, please return proof to the Student Wellness Center at