Student Resources

We are located in the Administration building on the Oceanview campus. The links and information below will connect you to many of our services and resources. As always, we encourage all students to refer to the academic catalog for further detailed information.

The official University catalog is the primary resource for students who are considering changing their program. We strongly encourage students to meet with Academic Affairs, specifically Advising and even the department chair before submitting any change to your academic program to the Office of the Registrar.

Students must meet the degree requirements (general education and major/minor) of the catalog under which they matriculated or may select a later catalog for a year in which they are enrolled. Changing to a later catalog must be requested in writing through the Office of the Registrar. Other than the degree requirements, students must adhere to the academic requirements, policies and procedures in place in the current catalog. Such requirements include but are not limited to course prerequisites, minimum grades for transfer work, tuition and fees, honors, probation and suspension requirements. Information regarding any changes in degree programs, graduation requirements, or academic policies will be made available via the Marymount California University Web site.

Printed and signed forms may be faxed to (310) 303-7204, scanned via email from your Marymount email account, or walked into the Office of the Registrar. All forms turned in without the required signatures of approval will be returned to the student and no changes will be made to student academic records. For detailed information on your program of study, please review the University catalog under which you were admitted.

Please go to our form center (under Registrar) to get the latest form

Degrees will be conferred at the end of the term in which all degree requirements have been met, according to the student’s declared degree. The University will confer the Associate degree for all first-time freshmen once degree requirements are met.

The Registrar’s Office will notify students of their expected term of graduation at the appropriate time in the degree program: 45 units earned for the Associate degree; enrollment in the first semester of Capstone or Research for Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, accordingly. Students must notify the Registrar’s Office of any changes to the degree program that might affect the expected term of graduation no later than the end of the semester prior to the student’s final expected semester.

The official conferral dates each year are as follows: the final day in which all degree requirements have been met for the fall semester, spring semester or varied summer sessions with the last summer semester conferral date falling on the final weekday in August. Once a degree is conferred, students cannot add, edit or alter the degree with concentrations, emphases, majors or minors.

Your diploma will be mailed to the Home address listed in the system. Report any change of address, phone number or email address in writing directly to the Office of the Registrar via a Change of Address form from the Registrar section of our form center.

Commencement information may be found here.

The Registrar’s Office processes enrollment verifications for entities such as lenders, employers and insurance companies. Enrollments can be verified one semester at a time. The Office of the Registrar will send out verifications for prior and current semesters only, and will not send out verification of a current semester until the semester has passed the add/drop deadline date of that given semester. Students who require verification of enrollment for their lenders should be aware that new requests and forms will be required each semester. Deferment Requests/Enrollment Verifications are provided by the Office of the Registrar if the deferment needs to be resubmitted or faxed. There is no charge to fax deferment forms. Please refer to the Enrollment and Degree Verification form located at our Form Center to request a verification of enrollment status or a letter of completion confirming the conferral of your degree. It could take up to 72 hours to send out your request.

The Registrar’s Office releases enrollment and degree verifications in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)


  • Email (from your Marymount email account) with the following info:
    • Contact information of loan provider
    • Deferment form from loan provider (if no form, we can send a Marymount enrollment form)
  • Lender form
  • Fill out your portion of the form (Note: Most forms will require your hand-written signature)
  • Submit to Registrar office
  • Fill out the Enrollment Verification form and ensure you have signed it
  • Send via mail, fax or Marymount email account
  • Marymount Form

Mail your request to:
Marymount California University
Registrar Office
30800 Palos Verdes Drive East
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA  90275
FAX your request to: (310 303-7204
Email your request to: Registrar@Marymount (from your Marymount email account only)

A student who wishes to take a leave of absence from the University must submit a leave of absence request before separating from the University. Students forfeit the opportunity to petition for a leave of absence if one has not been submitted to the Registrar prior to the start date of the next academic term following their departure. Students on leave will maintain their academic standing in place at the time of the start of the leave of absence. Students dismissed from the University are not eligible for a leave of absence.  Any leave of absence paperwork filed before the dismissal will be void.

Submitting a leave of absence request will enable the student to maintain continuous enrollment and academic status for up to two semesters. A leave of absence will be granted for a maximum of one academic year. Special circumstances (beyond the student’s control) may occasionally call for a longer leave, which may be granted through an academic petition to Academic Affairs. A maximum of two leaves of absence may be requested during a student’s enrollment.

Students on a leave of absence must contact Academic Affairs to initiate the process of return to the curriculum. Any outstanding health requirements, transcripts and/or account balances must be cleared prior to registering for classes.

Official transcripts of all coursework taken while away from Marymount California University must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office upon completion of coursework. Course placement is determined on the basis of transcripts received by the end of the Add/Drop period.

Students who break their continuous enrollment without filing a leave of absence request or whose leave of absence has expired must reapply for admission to Marymount and will be subject to the degree requirements as stated in the Catalog for their term of readmission. Return to Marymount after a break in status is not guaranteed.

All tuition and housing fees must be paid and Health Center clearance secured before students may attend classes. The dates of registration are listed in the Academic Calendar. Students must follow registration procedures as established by the Registrar. Students not officially registered by the add/drop date will not be allowed to remain in classes. Students with outstanding health requirements and/or account balances will not be allowed to register for a subsequent term at Marymount. Any course that does not have a sufficient number of students may be cancelled.

Sequential Courses

Certain elements of the curriculum require courses to be taken in sequence. Courses taken out of sequence may be accepted as elective credit by Marymount but will not fulfill the General Education requirements toward the Associate or Bachelor degree. Final grades for prerequisite courses taken at other Colleges must be received prior to registration for the next course in a sequence.

Full Courses

Classes at Marymount have limited enrollment. Students who try to preregister for a class that has reached its limit will need to register for another section of the same course. If an enrolled student does not attend the first class meeting, the instructor may give that student’s place in class to a student who wishes to add the course. A student is not enrolled into a course until he/she brings an Add Form with an advisor’s signature to the Registrar’s Office before the deadline for adding courses.

Withdrawing from a Course

After the add/drop deadline, a student may withdraw from a course until the established deadline to withdraw, published in the Catalog. A course from which a student has withdrawn will remain on the transcript with a grade of “W.” A grade of “W” does not affect the student’s GPA.

Total Unit Limitation

Marymount places no limit on the total number of units a student may accumulate while enrolled. However, most four-year colleges/universities limit the number of units a student may transfer from a two-year college. Therefore, each student is responsible to work closely with his/her academic advisor to establish and complete a program of study at Marymount that will enable the student to accumulate an optimal number of units relative to degree and/or transfer goals.

DIRECTED STUDY (catalog courses)

Directed study is a course that appears in the Marymount California University catalog but is NOT being offered in the semester or session the student wishes to take it. The student can register and receive credit for such a course by working independently under the supervision of a faculty sponsor. In a directed study the faculty member shares the responsibility with the student, generally planning readings and/or projects and meeting with the student regularly to ensure that minimum contact hours and content requirements are met.

PRACTICUM (1-6  units)

296: Provides the opportunity for students to enhance their classroom experience by devoting additional time in assisting other students, such as serving as a teaching assistant or performing service with a community organization in connection with course content of students’ currently enrolled classes.

396-496: Provides the option for students who can make a commitment to an organization/company for definite hours during the semester. 396-496 integrates school and professional learning experiences and provides the opportunity for students to experience self-directed learning, produce reflective documents, and engage in transformative learning outside the classroom while taking traditional courses.

Participation Requirements: For students with Frosh, Soph, Junior, or Senior Standing: Must be in good academic standing; co-curricular requirements are up to date; application and consent approved by instructor of record.


Independent study answers the need for individual research and expression in special areas of interest that are NOT included in the regular course offerings. It provides training for life-long learning by providing experience in selecting a study project, mastering the necessary library and research techniques for assembling data and devising suitable means of evaluation. In independent study the student has the responsibility for planning, implementing, and presenting the project, where applicable. The faculty sponsor approves the project, meets with the student several times in the term, and evaluates the final results.

INTERNSHIP (12 units)

391 and 491: Intended for students in their junior or senior year who want to immerse themselves in a full-time work experience.  An internship is a partnership between the student, Marymount California University and a company or organization. The student will work closely with a faculty mentor and the Career Services Office to develop appropriate learning outcomes and to identify an organization/company offering a comprehensive experience focused on research, analysis and specific areas of interest in a structured work environment under the supervision of a faculty mentor.

Thinking of transferring to Marymount California University? Please go to our Admissions site.

Transfer evaluation is the process of reviewing individual courses from other institutions and determining how credit will be awarded. Marymount California University will accept comparable college coursework earned at other regionally accredited colleges and universities. Credit from international universities will be accepted if the institution is recognized by the country’s Ministry of Education. Courses are officially evaluated for degree credit or for credit toward general education and general transferability once the student has been accepted and paid a commitment deposit. A pre-evaluation and degree sheet is completed for all applicants once an application has been completed. Marymount California University evaluates transfer credits within established college policies and guidelines. We strongly encourage you to review the catalog regarding the transferability of coursework and the policies that pertain to it.

It is the responsibility of the student to request from your other institutions attended an official academic transcript and send it to the Office of Admission. You must submit an official transcript from every institution you attended. You cannot pick and choose which institutions you would like evaluated. As a reminder, once received by Marymount California University, transcripts from other institutions are not available for release to the student as they are now the property of Marymount California University.

Final evaluations for undergraduate students are done in the Office of the Registrar. Pre-evaluations are completed for all applicants by Transcript Evaluators in the Advising Center.

Withdrawing from a Course

After the add/drop deadline, a student may withdraw from a course until the established deadline to withdraw, published in the Catalog. A course from which a student has withdrawn will remain on the transcript with a grade of “W.” A grade of “W” does not affect the student’s GPA.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to completely withdraw from the University must secure a withdrawal form from the Registrar and obtain the specified signatures. The completed form must be returned to the Registrar by the last day of the semester prior to finals week. Only then does the withdrawal become official. Failure to follow the prescribed procedure will result in an “F” for all courses in progress. Please refer to the University Catalog for the schedule of refunds. A student who withdraws from the University during a term will receive grades of “W” for that term’s courses. In keeping with the refund schedule in the University Catalog, a student who leaves the University during the add/ drop period will receive a grade of “W” for all coursework registered. However, grades already recorded (e.g. for half-semester classes) will remain on the transcript. Withdrawal from the University does not relieve the student from any account balance that remains. Please reference the Schedule of Refunds for refund policy and amounts.

Office of the Registrar

Phone: (310) 303-7215
Fax: (310) 303-7204