Residential Experience

Students play basketball at our Residential Campus

Residential Experience

Living in residence is an integral part of the Marymount experience.  The social and interpersonal experiences of residential life play a vital role in student development. All new first and second year students as well as lower division transfer students are required to live in residence.  Students transferring to MCU with 29 or less credits are required to live in residence for two years.  Students transferring in with 30-59 credits are required to live in residence for one year.  Upper division transfer students, with 60 or more credits, are highly encouraged to live in residence, but are not required.

To apply for residence click here.

Marymount California University offers premier dining at Bistro by the Sea, the main Oceanview Campus Café. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday through Thursday. Breakfast and lunch are available on Friday. Outtakes, the snack shop at the Villas offers supplies such as laundry detergent, school supplies, as well as snacks, coffee and other beverages, candy and an assortment of other snacks.

All residential students are required to participate in a meal plan. There are a variety of options from which to choose, including plans that provide 14, 12 or 10 meals per week, as well as other flexible Café and Outtakes options. On Friday nights and weekends, students often prepare food in the kitchens at their residences or enjoy a rich variety of dining options in the Palos Verdes and San Pedro areas. Those who do not wish to cook or eat out may sign up for weekend boxed meals provided by the Café.

Marymount’s shuttle service between the Oceanview campus and the residential communities runs hourly on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. when classes are in session. In addition, shuttle drivers are happy to make stops at banks, grocery stores, fitness facilities and other service locations.

Students who are unable to live in residence or are requesting to commute need to meet one of the following criteria and provide required documentation:
• Medical reason
• Marriage, in a domestic partnership or living with a dependent child
• Enrolling as a part-time student
• Financial hardship
• 21-years-old prior to the beginning of License Agreement entry term (21 before the first date of classes when License Agreement become active)
• Plan to reside within 20 miles of campus with a parent or close relative
• Military veteran

Required Documentation: All requests require the Residency Exemption Application and additional documentation as proof of meeting one of the conditions for release. 

Must be verified hardship through financial aid

MARRIAGE/PARTNERSHIP/DEPENDANT DOCUMENTATION You must provide a copy of your marriage license/domestic partnership or dependent’s birth certificate.

Must be verified via Student Health Center and Office of Disability Resources (contact the Office of Residential Life and Student Conduct for Details)

Must provide copy of discharge papers

Must provide a copy of your updated part time schedule.  Verifications will be performed after the last day of the Drop-Add period each term

You must provide a copy of valid, legal Identification

In addition to clubs, student government, and volunteer and cultural opportunities, residential students form lifelong friendships and enjoy a rich variety of social activities, such as barbecues, study-break snacks, faculty-student dinners, comedy nights, volleyball tournaments, game nights and dances.

Office of Residential Life & Student Conduct

Phone: (310) 303-7316

To apply for housing, login to the student portal