FAQ and Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I apply?

A: After you have been admitted and paid your $200 admissions commitment deposit, your next step is to complete the online application for Residence Life. You can find the application in YOUR MCU STUDENT PORTAL.  At the end of the application, you are required to pay a $200 non-refundable housing application fee by credit card. If you are unable to pay by credit card, please contact the Business Office at 310.303.7335.

To apply to Marymount California University, APPLY ONLINE.
To set up a residential life tour, please visit our Office of Admissions.

Q: Is there a residential requirement?

A: Students transferring in with:

  • ≥60 (60 or more) credits do not have a residency requirement, but are welcome and encouraged to live in residential life.
  • 30-59 credits have a 1-year residency requirement
  • <30 (less than 30) credits have a 2-year residency requirement

Q. How do I apply for an exemption from the two-year residency requirement?

A. Students who are unable to live in residence or are requesting to commute need to meet one of the following criteria and provide required documentation:

• Medical reason
• Marriage, in a domestic partnership or living with a dependent child
• Enrolling as a part-time student
• Financial hardship
• 21-years-old prior to the beginning of License Agreement entry term (21 before the first date of classes when License Agreement become active)
• Plan to reside within 20 miles of campus with a parent or close relative
• Military veteran

Required Documentation: All requests require the Residency Exemption Application and additional documentation as proof of meeting one of the conditions for release.

Must be verified hardship through financial aid

You must provide a copy of your marriage license/domestic partnership or dependent’s birth certificate.

Must be verified via Student Health Center and Office of Disability Resources/MAST (contact the Office of Residential Life and Student Conduct for Details)

Must provide copy of discharge papers

Must provide a copy of your updated part time schedule.  Verifications will be performed after the last day of the Drop-Add period each term

You must provide a copy of valid, legal Identification

For the Residency Exemption Application, Residential Exemption Application Form

Q: Do I need to bring/buy furniture?  

A: All apartments are furnished. Each bedroom contains desks, chairs, dressers and extra-long twin beds. In each living room there is one couch, two chairs and a coffee table. All kitchens have a table and four chairs, as well as a stove and refrigerator. 

Q: What should I bring?

A: You should bring:

  • Alarm clock
  • Cleaning supplies (Windex, Comet, etc.)
  • Clothes hangers
  • Comforter/bedspread and blanket
  • Desk lamp
  • Fan (there are a few warm days!)
  • Laundry basket or bag, and laundry detergent
  • Mattress pad
  • Pillow(s) and pillow case(s)
  • Prescribed medications in original container with prescription clearly labeled
  • Sheets – two sets (extra-long twin size)
  • Toiletries (toothbrush, shampoo, deodorant, toilet paper, etc.)
  • Towels (bath towels, wash cloths)
  • Trash bags and waste-paper basket
  • UL-listed extension cord(s)

You may want to bring:

  • Backpack
  • Bathrobe
  • Camera
  • Computer
  • Lamps (desk and floor)
  • Dishes (plates, cups, silverware, pots/pans, etc.)
  • Envelopes, stationery and stamps
  • Flashlight
  • Food*
  • Hair dryer
  • Iron/ironing board
  • Microwave
  • Overnight bag for weekend trips
  • Personal electronics, including television, stereo (with reasonable sized speakers), DVD, VCR, etc. (Please note: courtesy hours are in effect 24/7)
  • Pictures of family and friends
  • School supplies (pens, pencils, notebooks, etc.)
  • Sewing kit
  • Small vacuum cleaner
  • Surge protector/power strip (multi-outlet)
  • Umbrella

Do not bring:

  • Alcohol, drugs or drug paraphernalia, including hookahs, bongs or pipes of any kind
  • Furniture
  • Items that violates the Firearms/Explosives/Weapons/Flammables policy, including: barbecue grills, candles, fireworks, flame heated stoves and hot plates, incense and/or anything with an open flame, kerosene heaters, oil lamps, potpourri that uses a candle, space heaters and any unsafe chemicals are expressly prohibited in the residence halls.
  • Air conditioner
  • Amplified instruments, such as drum sets and electric guitars
  • Firearms and other weapons or explosives of any kind are strictly forbidden, including paintball, pellet and BB guns
  • Pets, except for fish (20-gallon tank maximum)
  • Multiple outlet adapters
  • Satellite dish
  • Waterbeds

Q: What are the units like on the interior?

A: Colors in the units vary, but they are all neutral shades. The floors in the kitchen and bathroom are tile or vinyl. All living rooms and bedrooms are carpeted.

Q: What amenities are included?

A: The Villas provides students with 24-hour quiet and group study rooms, parking, high-speed wireless internet, an on-site dining facility and meeting spaces for student organizations.  There is a volleyball court, basketball court, pavilion with a fireplace and a residential fitness facility (opening fall 2015).

Q. How does laundry work- do I need quarters?
A: The Villas provides credit card operated laundry facilities.  Detergent can be purchased fromOuttakes, an on-site convenience store. Pacific View Apartments provides coin-operated laundry facilities with a change machine and detergents, which may be purchased from our vending machines.

Q: How much does it cost to live on campus?

A: See our fee schedule for residence pricing. This includes all utilities and a mandatory meal plan. For a comprehensive list of our Residential Life fees, please  click here.

Q: How do I pick my roommate?

A: For students new to Marymount California University, roommates are determined by the Residential Life Placement Survey in the Residential Life on-line application. According to your answers on that survey, housing staff will match you with roommates. If you have friends who you would like to live with, please be sure to name them on your application and have them list you on theirs.

For returning students to Marymount, there is a special two-night event called “room selection,” where returning students choose their room and roommates. This occurs in the spring semester.  

Q: Do I have to leave for holidays?

A: Our residence halls close during Winter Break, please plan your schedule early. There are no exceptions.  You may leave your belongings in your townhome or apartment during Winter Break, but you will not be able to access them while the University is closed.

Q: Can I bring a car?

A: Yes, though it isn’t necessary. We offer complimentary shuttle service to and from each of our campuses, as well as to local shopping, dining, entertainment and spiritual venues. 

Q: Is there enough parking?

A: At the Villas, there are ample garage spaces and street parking to accommodate residential students. Guests, however, are required to park outside of the complex on Palos Verdes Drive North.

Q: If I don’t have a car, will there still be things for me to do on weekends? 

A: Absolutely. There are many things to do in residence, on-campus and locally on weekends.  The residential life and student conduct staff work to provide students with a wealth of recreational and educational opportunities. Residential Life also partners with the Office of Student Life to create fun weekend activities.

Q: How do I send mail to Marymount students?

A: All apartments within the The Villas have individual mailing addresses. Please do not send any student mail to the Marymount campus in Palos Verdes.

Q: Does Marymount insure my property?
A: Marymount California is not responsible for the safekeeping of your personal property. We strongly advise students to purchase renter’s insurance for their personal property.  

Q. What should I do if something is broken?
A. E-mail Resworkorders@marymountcalifornia.edu. If it is an urgent repair (i.e., water overflowing, lock broken, window broken), please contact your Resident Director or Campus Safety and Security.

Q: Is a curfew enforced?

A: No. You may come and go as you please, though we do enforce “quiet hours” in the evening as a courtesy to your neighbors. 

Q: Can friends from home visit me? 

A: Yes. All non-students must register at the front gate and leave a valid identification card with the on-duty guard. Visitors must leave by midnight unless permission for an overnight stay has been granted by the Office of Residential Life. Minors (individuals under 18) are not allowed to stay overnight in Residential Life. 

Q: Are the Residential Communities safe?

A: Yes. We make every effort to ensure that our students are safe and secure at all times. The Villas is a gated community with 24-hour Campus Safety and Security officers on site.

Q: I am a graduate student. Do you offer housing to graduate students?

A: At this time, we do not offer designated housing for graduate students. Interested graduate students should complete the housing application, noting their graduate student status so that we may place graduate students together. Also, we can provide you with local off-campus housing opportunities which are mostly on the shuttle route and close to campus. Please contact the office of Residential Life and Student Conduct at (310) 303-7316 or at Reslife@marymountcalifornia.edu to request the off-campus housing list.

Q. What if I need to be released from my housing contract or want to commute to MCU?
A: There is a Residential Exemption Application that will allow you to request either an exemption from the Two-Year Residency Requirement or a release from your housing contract.

Application Process: All requests require that you submit this Residency Exemption Application along with all necessary supporting documentation. For more information call (310) 303-7316.

In addition to Marymount’s Student Code of Conduct, students who reside in University residence halls are governed by specific policies that provide behavioral guidelines for living in a residential community. By following these guidelines, students can achieve a community where members are empowered to become strong students, good neighbors and conscientious citizens.

The conduct system exists to address behaviors inappropriate to the residential community environment and to help students redirect their behaviors in more constructive manners. Under Marymount’s conduct system, the philosophical intent of all disciplinary interactions is intended to educate students as opposed to punishing them. Students are encouraged to take responsibility for violations of any disciplinary policies and to make amends as appropriate.


Office of Residential Life & Student Conduct

Email: reslife@marymountcalifornia.edu
Phone: (310) 303-7316

To apply for housing, login to the student portal